Follow these simple steps to remove a dead animal (such as a rodent) from your pool and disinfect the water to guarantee it’s clean, healthy and ready to enjoy:
- Close the pool to swimmers (include signage).
- Wear plumber’s disposable gloves (gauntlets).
- Use a leaf scoop/net or bucket to remove the dead animal from the pool.
- Bag the dead animal a plastic garbage bag. Seal the garbage bag and dispose in the garbage bin immediately.
- Clean/disinfect the item used to remove the dead animal.
- Clean/disinfect gloves (if reusing).
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap.
- If you are a Pooled Energy customer, use the Pool App:-
- Flush/Backwash and checkthe filtration system is operating properly.
- Go to POOL MAINTENANCE on the App.
- Press START SUPER CHLORINATION, which will operate for 24 hours.
- Stay out of the water till the ORP on the WATER QUALITY page drops to below 780 (3 days minimum).
- Or call us for assistance on 1300 364 703.
- If you are a not a Pooled Energy customer – we’re here to help:
- Raise the free chlorine concentration, or maintain it at 2 parts per million (ppm); maintain the pH levels at 7.5 or less. The free chlorine and pH should remain at these levels for 24 hours.
- Stay out of the water for 3 days or till a test kit shows free chlorine below 3 ppm.
- Flush/Backwash and check the filtration system is operating properly.
These cleaning and disinfection steps are for dead animals commonly reported to be found in pools.