There are several types of financial savings that customers derive from using Pooled Energy to manage their swimming pools. There are also a range of non-financial benefits.
- Reductions in electricity consumption by your pool from about 40% of the total household electricity of the average pool in the average household, down to about 10%. (individual pools vary).
- Use of cheaper energy at optimised time-of-use for those with appropriate meters and tariffs,
- 3x-5x reductions in chemical use and cost (individual pools vary widely depending on existing surfaces and control systems),
- Reductions in maintenance and replacement costs of pool equipment,
- Reductions in pool service costs (No need for a regular pool technician for water quality maintenance).
Energy Savings and Efficiency
The Pooled Energy system uses less energy by improving the energy efficiency of existing pool equipment:-
- Converting the filter pump from fixed speed to much more efficient, adapting, true variable speed. (Note: Over 95% of existing systems use single speed pumps which are sized for the backwash task and are way over-sized for all the other functions such as chlorination/filtering/auxiliary pump boost for heaters/pool sweeps etc.)
- Optionally, improving plumbing around the filter to reduce pipe loss/flow resistance (additional cost if required).
- Optionally, changing the filter media to lower flow resistance glass (additional cost if required).
- Using an operating regime that filters finer, thereby reducing the need for as many water passes through the filter.
Control System based Energy Savings
The Pooled Energy system further improves the energy savings by:
- Using sensors to detect the optimum time to backwash and thereby reducing time spent filtering inefficiently,
- Using a flow sensor to control and to synchronise the filter pump with other systems such as heaters and sweeps so that it is always running at optimum speed for whatever is required.
- Using Advanced Water Chemistry to reduce the amount and duration of chlorination. This means a filter no longer has to run to keep water going through an (usually) undersized chlorinator many hours a day beyond what is required for filtration.
- Using water-quality sensors to optimise the water chemistry, neither over nor under-sanitising it. Over-chlorination is energy wasteful while under-chlorination leads to green pools and costly recovery
- Using ‘look-ahead’ control based on the forecast of tomorrow’s weather to exploit a choice of using solar PV or low cost-off-peak power as appropriate.
- Using Advanced Water Chemistry reduce/remove the need for super-chlorination.
- Adapting the operating time of the pump system to the seasons.
Compare the above with the standard system of a single high speed pump, a (typically) undersized chlorinator, two time-clocks for control, and little or no automatic water chemistry management.
Savings from using Lower Cost Energy
For customers with time-of-use meters, Pooled Energy:
- Runs pools in the lowest cost periods where practicable; and
- Reduces Pump noise sufficiently to often enable night-time (off-peak) running by using a variable speed drive.
Pool Equipment Maintenance Savings
- Pooled Energy converts the existing customer single-speed pump to variable speed. Because the pump is effectively de-rated, its longevity is significantly increased…….and water quality is improved as
filtering becomes more efficient.
- The system checks that the pump is correctly “primed” and does not run dry, risking burn out.
- Glass filter media is (optionally) supplied by Pooled Energy to improve filtration and increase the time between media changes.
Reductions in Chemicals Costs
- The chemicals required for Pooled Energy’s Advanced Water Chemistry are supplied and delivered by Pooled Energy at a cost depending on actual usage. We supply and deliver the yearly requirements for you to add to the pool in one dose.
- You will need to add salt (and possibly small amounts of conventional pool chemicals) from time to time, but you will be advised when and how much to add.
- The Pooled Energy system will almost entirely eliminate green pools which typically require complex and expensive remediation.
Reductions in Services Costs
- The Pooled Energy continually monitors pool equipment performance as well as the pool chemistry. The system identifies minor issues which can often be corrected remotely rather than requiring site
visits which may also entail expensive chemicals dosing.
- Because of Pooled Energy’s automation there is no longer a requirement for periodic manual water testing and chemical adjustment